THANK YOU FOR COACHING! WE APPRECIATE YOU GIVING YOUR TIME AND EFFORTS TO THE AYSA SOCCER COMMUNITY!
Please read the information below CAREFULLY to make sure you complete all the requirements for your team. Requirements can vary slightly depending on what type of team you are coaching.
PLEASE ONLY COMPLETE THESE REQUIREMENTS AFTER COMMUNICATING WITH YOUR CLUB COORDINATOR.
No adult will be allowed to coach until they have completed all the steps below.
Once all the steps are completed and reviewed by AYSA staff, you will receive an AYSA Fall League Coach Pass via email. Only coaches that have passes are allowed on the player sideline for games.
STEP 1: ALL COACHES MUST COMPLETE A BACKGROUND CHECK EVERY CALENDAR YEAR AND CREATE A U.S. SOCCER CONNECT ACCOUNT.
Minnesota State Law and MYSA Policy require that all adults ages 18 years or older have an approved background check before they participate in any MYSA activity. Please follow the link below to complete your 2021 background check through the US Soccer Connect (Affinity) platform before your first interaction with your team. U.S. Soccer Connect is the new name for the Affinity Sports platform.
IMPORTANT TIPS FOR COMPLETING THE BACKGROUND CHECK:
- If you coached in the summer for a rec or competitive team (ESS, Gitchi Gummi, AYSA, etc.) DO NOT complete the background check again. You are set! Skip to Step #4 to double check you have the appropriate certificates uploaded to your account.
- If you are a Hermantown, Grand Rapids, or Two Harbors coach, please ONLY SELECT ARROWHEAD in the ‘Club Detail Additional Information’ section of the background check. Otherwise your club will be billed twice.
- If you coached previously you will use the same account that you have used in the past to complete the background check.
- Can’t remember your username/password from last year? There is a forgot password option.
- Still having problems? Contact AYSA at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: If you are under 18 and are helping with a fall team, you do not have to complete the background check. Please email AYSA to get a coach pass. You must be accompanied by a registered adult at all games/practices. We highly recommend you complete the other two training requirements but they are also not required.
STEP 2: ALL COACHES MUST COMPLETE THE CDC CONCUSSION TRAINING EVERY THREE YEARS
Minnesota State Law and MYSA Policy require that all adult participants complete concussion training every three years. The Centers for Disease Control provides a free training called HEADS UP to Youth Sports: Online Training.
For 2021, if you have a concussion training certificate from another credible organization (MSHSL for example), you may upload a certificate with your name and completion date from that training.
- New registration process in 2021! If you need help, we have created an instructions document here: HEADS UP to Youth Sports Concussion Training Instructions
- If you have completed the training in the last three years (2019, 2020, 2021) and have a current certificate uploaded in your U.S. Soccer Connect (Affinity) account, you do not need to re-complete the training for this season.
- If you do not have a current certificate uploaded on your U.S. Soccer Connect (Affinity) account or do not have access to your valid certificate, you will have to re-complete the training.
- Save your certificate at the end of the training! You will need to upload that to your U.S. Soccer Connect (Affinity) account in Step 4.
- If you have issues uploading your new certificate, please email your certificate to email@example.com.
STEP #3: ALL COACHES MUST COMPLETE CHILD ABUSE PREVENTION TRAINING EVERY YEAR.
Federal Law and Minnesota Youth Soccer Association now require that all adult participants complete child abuse prevention training. You only need to complete 1 of the 2 trainings below. Most rec coaches complete the first training but check with your club coordinator if you are unsure.
TRAINING OPTION #1 – You are coaching an AYSA recreational team and WILL NOT participate in a fall MYSA tournament:
You can complete the Trusted Coaches Child Safety Training Course. This 30-minute training fulfills the requirement for the recreational coach that does not plan to coach a competitive or tournament team this year. To access the Trusted Coaches training for recreational coaches:
- Go to trustedcoaches.org.
- Log in or Register
- Click ‘Claim a Role/Join a Season’ button
- Enter information below:
State: Minnesota (even if you are a team coach from Superior)
Organization: Arrowhead Youth Soccer Association
Season Name: AYSA FALL LEAGUE
Season Access Key: AYSAFALL21
For technical support, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 763-746-1719 (Mon-Fri – 9am-5pm)
*Save your certificate at the end of the training. You will need it in Step #4.
TRAINING OPTION #2 – You are coaching a team that WILL be participating in a fall MYSA tournament (ask your club coordinator if you are unsure):
You must complete the U.S. Soccer SafeSport Training.
New Coaches – This is about a two and a half hour interactive training provided by U.S. Soccer.
Returning Coaches – Returning coaches are required to take a short refresher course (about 40 minutes total) through the same link. Use your login information from last season (the link will prompt you to create a new account. Cancel out of the initial screen and it will ask for your login information).
This training is being offered free of charge through U.S. Soccer’s onboarding link and access code.
ACCESS CODE: Contact AYSA or club coordinator (we are not allowed to post this on our website).
*Save your certificate at the end of the training. You may need it in Step #4.
STEP 4: UPLOAD TRAINING CERTIFICATES FROM STEPS #2 and #3
Upon completion of both trainings in Step #2 and #3 above you will receive a certificate that must be uploaded into your U.S. Connect/Affinity account for your AYSA to validate. Save each certificate as a PDF or JPG directly from the training portals. Follow the steps below to upload your certificates to your account:
(Hint: this is the same account you created for the MYSA Background Check above in Step #1)
- Go to your Certificates tab.
- Click on the appropriate box to upload your file (both the Concussion Certificate and SafeSport Certificate must be uploaded if they are not present). Do not worry about uploading your Driver’s License or PACT Certificate.
- Click “Choose File” and choose the appropriate certificate to upload.
- Click on the green “Upload Image” button. The pop-up box will close and your certificate will replace the generic upload certificate picture that was previously in the box.
Note: If you are trying to add an updated certificate to your profile and an old one is still present, email your updated certificates to email@example.com and we will upload them for you.
STEP #5: UPLOAD COACH PASS PHOTO
NOTE: This step is only required if your team is going to a fall MYSA tournament.
(Hint: this is the same account you created for the MYSA Background Check above)
- Click on the gray silhouette to add a photo or click on the Update Photo link below the picture.
- Click on the appropriate box to upload your file.
- Click “Choose File” and choose the appropriate photo to upload.
*Once a photo is uploaded, it cannot be removed. Be sure you select the correct file. If you do upload an incorrect photo, contact AYSA to remove the photo. If you already have an existing photo and would like to replace it with an updated photo, contact AYSA.
No adult will be allowed to coach until they have completed all the above requirements and receive their Approved AYSA Fall League Coach Pass.
Having difficulties completing any of the above requirements? Contact AYSA and a staff member should be able to assist you.